Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 101
- Course Number:
- MSD 101
- Course Title:
- Prin of Management/Supervision
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExamines concepts and practical application of fundamental supervisory skills such as planning, staffing, communicating, leading, using technology, training, managing conflict, and problem solving, in addition to "quality improvement," safety, ethics, and effective performance reviews. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
upon successful completion, the studnt should be able to:
- Apply principles of supervision to business processes of staffing, performance management, quality control,
and conflict resolution.
- Develop goals, objectives, and plans that will enhance productivity, quality, and cost control.
- Apply leadership strategies for employee motivation to lead a group of employees to perform effectively as a
- Utilize skills in quality performance and supervision to enhance management career opportunities.
- Apply an understanding of various supervision laws and policies to the current workplace.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as role-plays, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Complete exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Team leadership skills
- Adapting to and implementing change
- Time management and goal setting
- Process improvement
- Encouraging innovative work environments
- Communication with a diverse workforce
- Creating a motivating climate
- Conflict management
- Quality management
- Performance evaluation
- Training and development
CONCEPTS, THEMES & ISSUES:
- Innovating, planning, organizing, leading, staffing, controlling
- Safety management
- Motivating employees
- Positive reinforcement
- Performance management
- Team leadership
- Cost control
- Quality control
- Supervisory practices
- Innovative planning and goal setting
- Effective performance management
- Complex management processes and issues
- Complexity of HR laws and issue
- Leadership styles
- Balancing cost control and production goals
Apply leadership strategies for employee motivation to lead a group of employees to perform effectively as a work team.
Content (Activities, Skills, Concepts, etc.):
Team leadership skills
Adapting to and implementing change
Time management and goal setting
Encouraging innovative work environments
Communication with a diverse workforce
Creating a motivating climate
Training and development