Course Content and Outcome Guide for MP 110
- Course Number:
- MP 110
- Course Title:
- Basic Medical Terminology 2
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionReviews in depth the basic body systems and medical terminology taught in MP 109. Expands knowledge to include prefixes, suffixes, root words, abbreviations, conditions, symptoms and procedure terms used in oncology, psychiatry, radiology and nuclear medicine. Recommend: RD 90 and WR 90. Prerequisite: MP 109 Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
2. Have knowledge of medical terminology for the basic body systems as well as the medical specialties of Oncology. Psychiatry, Radiology and nuclear medicine.
3. Read and understand medical documentation in medical records and medical reports.
4. Communicate with health care professionals utilizing proper medical terminology.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Answer theoretical and application multiple choice questions on information covered in the lecture and reading assignments.
- Complete a variety of work assignments to demonstrate understanding of basic concepts.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- The goal is to understand a given medical term, give its definition by breaking it into component parts, and identify the body system to which it relates.
- Understand the basic anatomical structures, terminology, and functions of the major body systems, as well as the medical specialties of oncology, psychiatry, radiology and nuclear medicine.
- Know the basic diseases and pathological conditions commonly encountered in these body systems.
- Know the basic medications and imaging procedures commonly encountered with these body systems.