Course Content and Outcome Guide for MM 255
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- MM 255
- Course Title:
- 3D Lighting and Texturing
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers lighting techniques with an in depth focus on the technical aspects of both lighting and shadows. Includes UV unwrapping and layout skills, and advanced graphic tool techniques into order to create professional quality textures. Prerequisite: MM 232 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
Apply essential technical skills that go into Computer Generated (CG) 3D lighting and rendering.
Evaluate surface and environmental properties of objects, and recreate those elements and materials in a digital environment.
Incorporate projection mapping and UV mapping in order to texture any surface in 3D.
Produce detailed quality 3D imagery for digital screen delivery.
Course Activities and Design
The material in this course will be presented in a classroom
lecture/discussion/demonstration format, and in class hands-on exercises.
There will be short assignments weekly, which may be partially completed in class.
Also, a longer assignment, which demonstrates techniques and skills, developed in the course.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Projects will be the major criteria for evaluation. Emphasis will be placed on creativity, presentations, meeting assigned deadlines, and participation in critiques. Additional methods of assessment may include quizzes, exercises, assignments, and attendance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
· Understanding and customizing industry standard software interface
· UV unwrapping, lighting and specular mapping
· lights and attributes. Dynamic lighting
· Types of shadows and their advantages/disadvantages
· 3 point lighting and set up
· Importance of Light Linking
· UV editor and projection basics
· Creating a UV snapshot for import into Photoshop, testing UV layout in Photoshop
· UV unwrapping techniques from beginning to intermediate to advanced
· UV Unwrapping and layout of several simple and complex objects
· Texture dimensions and the Power of
· Photoshop Texture techniques; how to create photo-real textures from stock photography
· Study of real-world textures on various objects in different environments. Advanced copying techniques for textures.
· In depth Photoshop techniques: custom brushes, Quick Mask, tileable textures. Study of Specular highlight and how to use it.