Course Content and Outcome Guide for MCH 291 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- MCH 291
- Course Title:
- Laser Cutting and Engraving Fundamentals
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces how to setup and operate a laser engraving machine using CorelDraw software as the print driver. Includes time for student project work. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Requires basic computer operational skills literacy. Students will purpose and complete project work to support theory skills. Instructor approval required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Identify processes that can be completed on a laser engraving machine and be able to setup and perform basic operation of a laser engraving machine.
2. Use a laser engraving machine to produce a product
Course Activities and Design
The course will be taught through structured training activities to develop competency and will include student proposed project work to reinforce these skills.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
PRACTICE - Completion of tasks and projects identified in the course outline with an emphasis on correct machine setup and operation.
LAB ACTIVITIES - Participation in both structured and student selected laboratory exercises with the emphasis on developing skills or increasing expertise in the areas of study identified in the course outline.
FINAL ASSESSMENT - An assessment in the form of a written exam and/or practical application that addresses the subject areas identified in the course outline. This will include student project work.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Skills obtained from this course will be:
1. The ability to identify manufactured projects or products that are compatible for production on laser engraving machines.
2. Basic set and operation of a laser engraving machine.
3. Fundamental use of CorelDraw for operation a Universal brand laser engraver.
4. Student proposed project work to reinforce these concepts.