Course Content and Outcome Guide for MCH 283
- Course Number:
- MCH 283
- Course Title:
- CNC Router Mastercam Program
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionA technical elective course in the Associate of Applied Science Degree in the Machine Manufacturing Technology program. This is a preparatory course in CAD/CAM designed to introduce personal computing and the operational basics of Mastercam Router required to produce a CNC manufactured part. Prerequisite: MCH 282. Audit available.
Addendum to Course DescriptionCNC Router Mastercam Programming consists of the following modules:
CNC Router Level I - This module covers 2 ½ axis toolpaths for milling such as: Contour, Pocket, Drill and Point. Parameters relevant to these topics are covered in detail, as are C-hooks, tool and material libraries, toolpath verification utilities and editors.CNC Router Level II - Students use Mastercam to program advanced three-dimensional models using Multi-surf and Flow-line programming techniques.PREREQUISITE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Intended Outcomes for the course
The student will be able to understand the operational basics of Mastercam required to design parts, assign toolpaths to specific part features, and communicate the CNC program to a CNC machine tool.
- Fundamental concepts and techniques associated with Mastercam CAD/CAM software.
- Fundamental machining operations performed on CNC Routers.
- Graphics environment of Mastercam Computer Assisted Machining Software.
- Mastercam process and modeling for Computer Assisted Machining for CNC Routers.
- Techniques of 2-D geometry construction using Mastercam computer assisted machining software.
- Concepts and techniques of modifying existing geometry using Mastercam
- Mastercam computer assisted machining software material and tool library files.
- Tool path generation using existing geometry utilizing Mastercam.
- Concepts of generating tool paths using the combined (existing geometry) and direct (new geometry) methods utilizing Mastercam.
- Concepts of tool path editing using Mastercam.
- Concepts and techniques associated with process and tool path planning using.
- Customization of the code generator through modification of the machine and template files using Mastercam.
- Concepts and techniques associated with constructing 3-D Wireframe models using Mastercam
- Concepts and techniques associated with toolpath generation of 3-D meshes (surfaces) using Mastercam.
- Concepts and techniques associated with the construction of derived and composite meshes (surfaces) using Mastercam.
- Concepts and techniques associated with 3-D toolpath planning using Mastercam.
- Concepts and techniques associated with 4th and 5th axis programming using Mastercam.
- Concepts and techniques associated with code file translation for successful CAD/CAM integration using Mastercam.
Course Activities and DesignMCH 283 CNC Router Mastercam Programming will be presented by means of audio-visual presentations, demonstrations, lab experiences, and research activities. The course activities and design emphasize the development of skills and knowledge outcomes prescribed by established industry standards. The identified outcomes will be achieved by means of individual and team activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Learning Mastercam Router Applications, CNC SoftwareLearning Mastercam Router Project Workbook, CNC Software