Course Content and Outcome Guide for MA 180
- Posted by:
- Jin Kim
- Course Number:
- MA 180
- Course Title:
- Coding and Reimbursement
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces coding and reimbursement systems for physician offices and medical clinics.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
1.Understand the usage of coding systems in physician offices and medical clinics.
2.Correctly assign CPT codes and E/M level of service codes to physician office and medical clinics encounters.
3.Correctly code medical diagnoses utilizing ICD9 CM.
4.Understand the relationship between coding systems and reimbursement for services.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Answering theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Code case studies from physician offices and medical clinics.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- medical terminology
- basic anatomy and physiology
The following list outlines the concepts, themes and issues you need to understand and be able to use appropriately. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your understanding in written and oral form, individually and in groups. See attatched.
1. Students will learn and understand how to apply managed care policies and procedures to billing and coding
2. Students will learn and understand the characteristics of 3rd party guidelines.
3. Perform procedural coding and diagnostic coding on exams and practice billing forms.
4. Complete and properly fill out insurance claim forms such as the CMS-1500.