Course Content and Outcome Guide for MA 147
- Posted by:
- Jin Kim
- Course Number:
- MA 147
- Course Title:
- Specialty Directed Practice
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPractice administrative skills, clinical skills or a combination of both in a medical clinic/physician office setting. Work two four-day, eight hour rotations and attend one six hour seminar at Portland Community College. Prerequisite: MA 125, 133, 134.
Course Activities and Design
Students are assigned to one office for two weeks following Spring term. The assignment in each office is for an eight-day rotation. The offices are selected by the course instructor.
Office assignment will be scheduled for eight, eight-hour shifts in accordance with the program schedule. Hours of assignment are based on office requirements and will be indicated on a schedule published by the course instructor.
Students are required to wear uniforms conforming to the requirements set forth by the PCC Medical Assisting Program. Apparel shall consist of a navy blue lab jacket with name badge, radiation badge, a white uniform (top and pants or dress) and white duty shoes. These items are purchased by the student in accordance with the guidelines provided by the course instructor.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Student performance is evaluated by the supervisor to whom the student is assigned at the medical office.
The grading system utilized for the course is “Pass” or “No Pass”. In order to receive a “Pass” grade, the student must:
1. Satisfactorily complete the objectives listed for the administrative and/or clinical medical assistant.
2. Receive satisfactory evaluation from each of the work area supervisors.
3. Complete all of the time assigned. (64 hours)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Specific objectives are contained in a separate handout, which adheres to the following course outline:
1. Clinical Rotation - Students are assigned to one office for two weeks. The assignment in each office is for an eight day rotation.
2. Administrative Rotation - Students are assigned to one office for two weeks. The assignment in each office is for an eight day rotation.
3. Seminar - Students are required to attend one six hour seminar at Portland Community College.