- Course Number:
- LAT 264
- Course Title:
- Landscape Estimating and Bidding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPresents methods and mechanics of estimation. Includes interpretation of specifications and drawings, material take-offs, labor, equipment, contingency, and overhead calculations, pricing strategies, production rates, bid procedures, recordkeeping, and computer use. Prerequisites: LAT 236. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Students will conduct a detailed cost estimate and bid proposal for a landscape installation project and a landscape maintenance project. Thorough knowledge of both landscape installation and landscape maintenance methods is essential.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Understand the difference between costs and prices.
- Identify all the cost components in an estimate.
- Understand the importance and the cost of thorough record keeping.
- Identify different pricing strategies for landscape installation, landscape maintenance, and landscape design.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written mid-term and final exams
- Estimation projects and bidding records
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Specifications and Working Drawings
- Measuring Area and Volume
- Estimating Materials, Labor, Equipment, and General Conditions
- Profit, Overhead, and Contingency
- Installation and Maintenance Contracts
- Estimating Landscape Maintenance
- Estimating Design Work
- Profit Analysis