Course Content and Outcome Guide for LAT 111 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- LAT 111
- Course Title:
- Landscape Construction Practices
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionBasic materials, safety, equipment and techniques used in the construction of landscapes. Basic tool and hardware identification and use in fences, decks, hardscapes, planters and retaining walls. Hands-on projects in wood, concrete, stone, and modular pavers. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Students will be completing 4-5 landscape consturction projects in outdoor labs.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Safely operate power equipment and tools used on the industry.
- Identify, by name and function, hand tools and hardware typically used in the landscape industry.
- Understand construction techniques used in the installation of fencing, retaining walls, arbors, concrete walks, brick and stone paving, and landscape edging.
- Learn to work as a crew to complete projects to specifications.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written mid-term and final exams.
- Evaluation of crew construction projects
- Completion of performance competencies.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Tractor and Chainsaw Operation
- Power Tool Usage
- Materials and Fastener Identification and Usage
- Wooden Decks
- Retaining Walls
- Water Features