Course Content and Outcome Guide for LAT 108
- Course Number:
- LAT 108
- Course Title:
- Landscape Irrigation I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionMaterials used, installation, and maintenance for residential and small commercial spray and drip irrigation systems. Applied math calculations used in basic hydraulics and system layout. Students will install sprinkler and drip zones. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Through hands-on labs students will install a zone or more of sprinkler and drip irrigation.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Identify common used sprinklers head and explain how they operate.
- Explain how an automatic valve works.
- Understand how hydraulics affect an irrigation system's performance and be able to perform friction loss calculations.
- Identify irrigation fittings
- Understand the steps involved in installing an underground sprinkler system.
- Be able to program digital and electromechanical controllers.
- Identify drip components.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written mid-term and final exams.
- Completion of skill competencies.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Basic hydraulics
- Irrigation components
- Pipes and fittings
- Backflow prevention
- Irrigation installation
- Irrigation troubleshooting
- Water conservation strategies