Course Content and Outcome Guide for JPN 270
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- JPN 270
- Course Title:
- Reading in Japanese Literature
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores accessible works of Japanese prose and poetry. Emphasizes skills for reading in Japanese. Prerequisite/concurrent: JPN 203 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
The course is offered for three transfer credit hours per term and counts in the distribution requirements for the AA degree, as a general education
requirement for other associate degrees, and meets the diversity requirement.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
1. Apply broader cultural understandings and recognize Japanese cultural values to interact with native speakers of Japanese.
2. Use an understanding of Japanese syntactic system to read prose and poetry in Japanese Kana syllabaries and Kanji characters.
3. Use intermediate-level Japanese grammatical structures and vocabulary to acquire information in authentic settings.
4. Use effective communicative skills to interact with native Japanese speakers by managing mid-level formal and informal speech.
Course Activities and Design
This course is offered only in Japan for students enrolled in PCC's study abroad program.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The course grade will be determined by an assessment of improvement in the student's ability to understand and analyze literary texts and the
amount of oral participation, preparation, and written work done by the student during the term. Each letter grade has specific attendance requirements.