Course Content and Outcome Guide for JPN 113B
- Course Number:
- JPN 113B
- Course Title:
- First Yr Japanese Conversation
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides extended practice for better understanding of the materials presented in JPN 103. Recommended: Completion of JPN 102 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Addendum to Course DescriptionJPN 113B may be offered simultaneously with JPN103. This is a conversation-tutorial class for extended practice in order to foster better understanding of the materials presented in JPN103.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Manages common interactions in highly predictable settings, using basic vocabulary, non-past and past tense.
- Begins to apply language-learning skills including deduction and circumlocution skills.
- Recognizes and begins to contrast linguistic and cultural differences between non-Indo-European and Indo-European language speaking worlds.
Outcome Assessment StrategiesStudents will be assessed by any combination of the following:
- Active participation in class
- Individual presentations
- Contextual written tasks (in or outside of class) to assess reading, writing, cultural, and aural competencies, including reading and and writing of syllabaries
- Oral interviews with partner or instructor
- In class, interactive student role-plays
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)Include all or most of the following:
Please refer to the appropriate section of the Course Content Outcomes Guide of JPN 103 for details of Competencies and Skills for active communication.