Course Content and Outcome Guide for JPN 112B
- Course Number:
- JPN 112B
- Course Title:
- First Yr Japanese Conversation
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides extended practice for better understanding of the materials presented in JPN 151. Recommended: Concurrent enrollment in JPN 151 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
JPN 112B is offered simultaneously with JPN151. This is a conversation- tutorial class for extended practice in order to foster better understanding of the materials presented in JPN151.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Manages common interactions in highly predictable settings, using basic vocabulary, non-past and past tense.
- Begins to apply language-learning skills including deduction and circumlocution skills.
- Recognizes and begins to contrast linguistic and cultural differences between non-Indo-European and Indo-European language speaking worlds
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be assessed by any combination of the following:
- Active participation in class
- Individual presentations
- Contextual written tasks (in or outside of class) to assess reading, writing, cultural, and aural competencies, including reading and and writing of syllabaries
- Oral interviews with partner or instructor
- In class, interactive student role-plays
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Makes invitations and telephone conversations in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Recognizes basic linguistic and cultural differences between non-Indo-European and Indo-European worlds.
- Describes weather, climate and makes comparisons.
- Asks questions about the language in Japanese.
- Makes and responds to compliments in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Recognizes the concept of in and out group and introduces family members.
- Discusses about hobbies and pastimes using family member names in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Writes a letter in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Reads for general meanings in texts using combination of syllabaries and Kanji.
- Recognizes tones and pitches that is specific to Japanese.
- Writes sentences expressing causal actions and events using syllabaries and 50-80 Kanji.
- Describes self and others: personality and physical attributes.
- States dates of the month.
- Reads for general meanings in texts using some inconspicuous cognates.
- Writes sentences expressing sequential actions or events.