Course Content and Outcome Guide for ID 135
- Course Number:
- ID 135
- Course Title:
- Pro Practice for Designers
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers the business administration of the Interior Design profession. Includes topics on ethics, contracts, licensing, ordering, client designer relationships, costs, billing structures, and legal considerations. Prerequisite: MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this class a student will be able to :
- Apply knowledge of business practices unique to the interior design profession.
- Use and understanding of interior design project administration, from inception and contractsigning through to construction and implementation.
- Create a business plan.
Course Activities and Design
This course will be presented by mean of lecture, discussion, handouts, guest speakers and assignments. The students grade will be determined by tests, completion and understanding of assignments and class participation.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Outcome Assessment Strategies:
Prepare a residential project folder to coincide with a small residential project as the class term project.
Conduct client interview and prepare a design concept statement.
Write a Letter of Agreement for project stating billing and purchasing fees and other matters.
Prepare a furniture layout with product selections.
Prepare preliminary and final budget after documentation.
Prepare and process purchase orders and invoicing for billing.
Participate in group discussions to resolve a project conflict.
Prepare project close-out, walk-through and Post-occupancy evaluation forms.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The student will develop the following skills through this course:
- Ability to prepare fees and pricing structures for a project.
- How to prepare time records.
- Write a letter of agreement, job estimate, purchase orders, purchase master, change orders and invoices
- Write estimates with product specifications.
- Calculate fees and product pricing
- Prepare and process purchase orders and invoices.
- Maintain project folder of all correspondence, paperwork and products pertaining to project for efficient project management.
The following will be introduced:
- Professional Ethics
- Professional Integrity
- Project Organization
- Efficiency in managing a design business
- Problem identification and resolution
- Use of computer programs to assist in paper flow management
- Project management
Course Content (Themes, Concepts and Issues)