Course Content and Outcome Guide for ID 125
- Course Number:
- ID 125
- Course Title:
- Computer Drafting for Interior Designers
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces computer aided design software as a drafting tool for residential design. Covers creation and modification of drawings such as floor plans, elevations, furniture and lighting plans, and three-dimensional projections. Focuses on interior plans and elevations of cabinetry for kitchen/bath design, writing/calculating specifications, and how to use drawings to communicate design concepts to clients. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Create, annotate, edit and plot drawings using basic AutoCAD commands and features.
Apply basic AutoCAD skills to intermediate AutoCAD course and other design and drafting courses.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will create computer-generated drawings that demonstrate their ability to:
- Build a shell and dimension automatically
- Install windows and doors according to an assigned schedule
- Build a basic roof, stairway with landing, manipulate cabinets, cabinets & moldings
- Install electrical, lighting, fireplaces, furniture
- Create Layouts and Presentations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Utilize computer-aided software to effectively design and produce plans rapidly.
- Design and create documentation phase elevations, sections and perspective views illustrating all specifications in residential interior design
- Input and make simple plan corrections
- Demonstrate accuracy in the creation of schematics and dimensions in interior designers plans
- Know the tools for automating the tasks of dimensioning, electrical detailing and all other tasks to produce a working drawing of a room or an entire house.
Themes, issues, and concepts:
The following will have increased meaning to the student resulting from this course.
- Project organization and management
- Professional and accurate presentations
- Improved communication with clients
- Increased use of the computer as a tool in interior design practice.
- Computer aided drawings that are necessary for construction documents.
- Development of basic skills in computer drafting literacy, focusing on drawings used by interior designers
- Produce plans quickly and accurately
- Allows objects to be placed to create 3-D models
- Use of layouts to allow multiple views to be placed on one sheet of paper
- Ability to work in different views
1. Create, annotate, edit and plot drawings using basic AutoCAD commands and features.
2. Apply basic AutoCAD skills to intermediate AutoCAD course and other design and drafting courses.
Students spend time learning to compute and transcribe measurements to build an architectural model. The subsequent dimensioning of the model requires working with integers and computing sums of measurements and increments.