- Course Number:
- ID 122
- Course Title:
- History of Furniture-Ancient to 1800
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionStudies and analyzes styles of furnishings from antiquity through the 18th century. Includes contemporary usage as well as the mixing of period furniture styles. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Any student who completes this class will:
- Identify historic furniture and interior styles.
- Use professional vocabulary to communicate design ideas to clients.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A students success in this class will be determined by successful completion of the following tasks:
- Compile a study notebook of illustrations of historic interiors and furniture styles of Western civilizations. Use professional vocabulary to label illustrations.
- Demonstrate ability to recognize and analyze historic interiors and furniture by taking two exams.
- Participate/ contribute to class discussions.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The student will develop the following skills through this course:
- Develop the ability to analyze interior elements in terms of historic reference, line, pattern, color, motif and materials.
The following Themes, Issues and Concepts will have increased meaning to the student as a result of this course:
- meet client needs
- create aesthetically pleasing environments
- create historically accurate interior spaces.
- social implications of interior styles
- combining historic styles
- furniture styles
- furniture components
- interior architectural elements
- design vocabulary