Course Content and Outcome Guide for HOR 290 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- HOR 290
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Landscape Design
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionBasic steps and elements used in landscape design. Establishment of specific design criteria, field measurements and basic drawing techniques required in production of finished design. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Students will, through a combination of field and drafting labs, complete a site plan, site analysis, and landscape plan for a real client. Students will also see one plan chosen and then installed.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Understand the steps involved in developing a landscape plan from initial client visit through completion of the landscape installation.
- Draft a site plan.
- Draw a site analysis.
- Draw a concept plan.
- Draft a landscape master plan.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written mid-term and final exams.
- Completion of the following drawinmg projects: site plan, site analysis, concept plan, master plan.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Landscape Style
- Principles of Landscape Design
- Basic Landscape Drafting
- Landscape Planning Process
- Landscape Construction and Installation Process
- Basics of Cost Estimation
- Computers in Landscape Design
- Landscape Design and the Environment: Xeriscaping, Sustainable Landscaping, Edible Landscaping, Native Landscaping