Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 290
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- HIM 290
- Course Title:
- Health Information Tech 3
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExamines and develops skills for training healthcare teams, healthcare entities, and consumers on health information. Project management and the management of change in relation to health information management are also covered. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
1. Participate on intra-departmental teams/committees.
2. Participate on facility wide teams/committees responsible for health care information.
3. Provide consultation, education, and training to users of health information services.
4. Plan and conduct meetings.
5. Resolve customer complaints regarding the Health Information Department.
6. Educate and train consumers on their health information and personal health records.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with outer students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Prepare information for health information training sessions for health care professionals and for the consumer.
- Prepare a marketing brochure for a health information management department.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes in this course students must have skills in:
- Health record content
- Health care facilities and professionals
- Federal and state regulations for health records
- JCAHO documentation standards
- Accrediting agencies documentation standards
- Medical terminology
- Written and oral communication
- Personal Health Records
- Privacy rules and regulations