- Course Number:
- HIM 286
- Course Title:
- Data Management and Analysis Lab
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an opportunity to practice data management and record analysis skills including analyzing a health record for deficiencies, applying medical staff bylaws to record analysis, abstracting cases, resolving duplicate record issues, developing a data dictionary and formatting data for reporting purposes. Corequisites: HIM 281.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Utilize software in the completion of health information management tasks.
- Apply knowledge of database architecture and design.
- Verify that the documentation in the health record is timely, complete, and accurate.
- Apply knowledge of data elements that are associated with healthcare data sets.
- Collect and maintain health data.
- Identify and use secondary data sources relevant to HIM.
- Identify a complete health record according to organizational policies, external regulations, and standards.
Course Activities and Design
Assignments require use of an Electronic Health Record and Excel.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Successful completion of laboratory assignments are outlined on the lab schedule.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Critical thinking skills
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health record content
- Spreadsheet software
- Word processing