Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 286
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- HIM 286
- Course Title:
- Data Mngmnt & Analysis 1 Lab
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionLaboratory course for HIM 281. Allows students to practice skills and apply the knowledge learned in Data Management and Analysis 1. Corequisite: HIM 281
Addendum to Course DescriptionNone.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Abstract data for department indices/databases/registries.
- Present data in formats appropriate to the user.
- Apply current laws and accreditation, licensure and certification standards.
- Apply health record documentation guidelines.
- Monitor health records for compliance with regulations and organizational policy.
- Maintain the accuracy and completeness of the patient health record as defined by a health care facility's institutional policy.
- Query databases to retrieve information.
- Generate reports from various databases.
- Understand concepts of and protect data integrity and validity using software or hardware technology.
- Maintain the integrity of the content of individual electronic health records.
- Maintain the integrity of a master patient/client index
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Successful completion of laboratory assignments are outlined on the lab schedule.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Critical thinking skills
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health record content
- Spreadsheet software
- Word processing