Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 283
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- HIM 283
- Course Title:
- Health Information Systems
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionHealth Information Systems Introduces the history and current status of information systems in health care: information architectures, administrative and clinical applications, evidence-based medicine, information retrieval, decision support systems, security and confidentiality, bioinformatics, information system cycles, the electronic health record, key health information systems and standards, and medical devices. Teaches strategies and tools to insure the development and/or selection of health information systems. Discusses the role of healthcare information and communication technologies in healthcare delivery including their role in improving the quality, safety and efficiency of healthcare delivery.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able
1. Participate in the evaluation and selection of various health
information systems in utilizing established criteria.
2. Create data hierarchy charts, data flow diagrams, data
dictionaries, and entity-relationship diagrams for use in health
3. Identify appropriate clinical classification systems and
medical vocabularies and apply them within and among
health information systems to promote effective
4. Apply relevant ethical, legal, security, and policy principles
in health information technology environment.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Answering theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Research and evaluate a current health information management technology and make recommendations on whether to purchase it.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- communication techniques
- information technologies
- health record content
- systems analysis design, development and implement principles
- healthcare facility organization
- general systems principles
- critical thinking