- Course Number:
- HIM 282
- Course Title:
- Healthcare Statistics
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionStatistical analysis and presentation of administrative and clinical information and data. Prerequisites: HIM 281. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Calculate and interpret descriptive healthcare statistics.
- Present data in verbal and written forms.
- Evaluate healthcare statistics and determine the most appropriate use of these healthcare statistics in health information management.
- Understand the collection, usage, and interpretation of vital statistics by health care facilities, state agencies, and federal agencies.
- Display health care data in the appropriate graphic format.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Complete an analysis of death rates in the United States from 1900-present and answer questions using the analysis.
- Generate a report from a federal or state database of health care data.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- communication techniques
- information technologies
- health record content
- healthcare facility organization
- critical thinking
- database research
- Internet search techniques
- rates, ratios, and percentages
- vital statistics
- data displays
- descriptive health care statistics
- data quality
- data sets
- health information management software