Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 277
- Course Number:
- HIM 277
- Course Title:
- Health Information Management Lab
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelop proficiencies in the skills included in HIM 272. Corequisites: HIM 272.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Assign diagnosis/procedure codes using ICD-9-CM.
- Assign procedure codes using CPT/HCPCS.
- Apply other clinical classification systems.
- Verify timeliness, completeness, accuracy, and appropriateness of data and data sources (e.g. patient care, management, billing reports and/or databases).
- Conduct analysis to assure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
- Validate coding accuracy using clinical information found in the health record.
- Support accurate billing through coding, chargemaster and bill reconciliation processes.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Successful completion of assignments as outlined on the lab schedule.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and skills:
- Critical thinking skills
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health record content
- Laboratory testing
- Medical imaging