- Course Number:
- HIM 277
- Course Title:
- Health Information Management Lab
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an opportunity to practice supervisory and lead worker skills that include policies and procedure development, productivity calculations, budget planning, job descriptions, and data and information governance. Corequisites: HIM 272.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Apply retention and destruction policies for health information.
- Plan budgets.
- Create programs and policies that support a culture of diversity.
- Apply information and data strategies in support of information governance initiatives.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and integrity of health data.
- Apply report generation technologies to facilitate decision-making.
Course Activities and Design
Case studies may be used.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Successful completion of assignments as outlined on the lab schedule.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and skills:
- Critical thinking skills
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health record content
- Laboratory testing
- Medical imaging