Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 276
- Course Number:
- HIM 276
- Course Title:
- Intermediate ICD-10-CM/PCS Lab
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIncludes the application of skills and knowledge learned in HIM 273 utilizing case-summary coding exercises. Corequisite: HIM 273.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Accurately code following coding convention, licensure and accrediting rules.
- Conduct analysis to assure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
- Audit patient health records to confirm accuracy of code assignment
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Successful completion of assignments as outlined on the lab schedule.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and skills:
- Critical thinking skills
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health record content
- Laboratory testing
- Medical imaging