Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 273
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- HIM 273
- Course Title:
- Intermediate ICD-10-CM/PCS
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionBuilds upon the basics skill sets learned in HIM 270. Provides continued skills development for ICD-10 coding of diagnostic and procedural statements utilizing applications of coding and reporting standards. Prerequisite: HIM 270. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Accurately assign ICD-10-CM/PCS coding as appropriate in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Ensure compliance with coding updates.
- Accurately code following coding convention, licensure and accrediting rules.
- Understand how to utilize structures and logic when applying classification and grouping systems such as DRGs and POAs, RBRVS, ASCs, ACGs, etc.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Demonstrate ability to accurately code diagnostic and procedural statements using proper coding conventions and rules.
- Assess coding accuracy of appropriate systems in a variety of settings using clinical information found in the health record.
Competencies and Skills :
- Health record content
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medical laboratory tests and imaging procedures
- Federal and state regulations for health records
- Reimbursement systems
- JCAHO documentation standards
- Medical terminology