Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 182
- Course Number:
- HIM 182
- Course Title:
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplains the past, present, and future influences on the delivery of health care. Covers provider organizations and settings in health care, financing of health care, causes and characteristics of health care utilization in the Unites States, regulation and monitoring of health care systems and ethical issues associated with health care technology. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the courseStudents who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Interpret laws, accreditation, licensure and certification standards that pertain to health information services.
- Monitor trends and current events in the evolution of the healthcare delivery system and understand the impact on health information services
Course Activities and DesignHealth Care Delivery Systems is based on the traditional lecture/discussion format, with the content based on course objectives.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Demonstrate ability to research information on current trends in health care delivery and present it in written and oral form.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The following list outlines the concepts, themes and issues you need to understand and be able to use appropriately. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your understanding in written and oral form, individually and in groups. See attached.
The goal is to familiarize the student with the historical developments which influenced the delivery of health care and the health industry.
The goal is to understand the organizational structure of health care facilities.
The goal is to have students obtain a workable knowledge of health care financing in the United States.
The goal is to introduce the student to the federal and state governmental influence on the delivery of health care.
The goal is to have students obtain an overview of the accrediting, certifying and licensing in the health care delivery system.
The goal is to familiarize students with the professional organizations that influence the delivery of health care.
The goal is to introduce the student to current trends and problems in the delivery of health care.