Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 136
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- HIM 136
- Course Title:
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers appropriate drug uses, effects, dangers, and precautions; routes of administration. Reviews common prescription abbreviations, forms of medications and basic drug categories.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, the student should be able to:
- Use an understanding of best documentation practice in medication orders to educate staff.
- Apply the knowledge of medication and documentation practice to interpret, communicate and enter medication orders into the health record.
- Initiate an action plan when documentation errors are discovered.
- Apply the knowledge of the United States DEA and prescription drug labeling requirements to ensure patient safety.
- Apply knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, medical science and health record content when interpreting information documented in a health record
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Answer theoretical and application multiple choice questions on information covered in lecture and reading assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)