Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 120 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- HIM 120
- Course Title:
- Health Record Content 1 Lab
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionLaboratory course for HIM 110 Health Record Content 1 Lab and allows students to practice the skills and knowledge learned in that course. Corequisites: HIM 110.
Addendum to Course Description
This is the laboratory course for HIM 110 Administrative Systems and allows students to practice the skills and knowledge learned in Administrative Systems.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Apply understanding of medical record content utilizing health information procedures for qualitative and quantitative analysis of data in paper and electronic formats.
- Audit health records for compliance of state, federal and other regulatory medical record standards.
- Perform health information management functions utilizing simulated educational electronic health record system.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students by:
- Successful completion of assigned modules as outlined on lab schedule.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Explain current formats for data and information collection and the various ways in which data and information are collected.
- Understand data access and retention of paper-based, image-based and electronic information.
- Transmitted information electronically via phone, fax and e-mail.
- Maintain filing and retrieval systems for paper-based patient records.
- Audit the master patient index for errors.
- Identify the various professionals working in health care facilities.