Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 105
- Course Number:
- HIM 105
- Course Title:
- Ancillary Information Analysis
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelops knowledge of health care ancillary services, laboratory tests, and imaging services. English communication skills necessary. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Read with understanding medical documentation regarding diagnostic reports.
- Recognize diagnostic tools and make connections between the diagnostic procedure and what is being stated in the documentation.
- Have a working knowledge of standard diagnostic procedures and new diagnostic technologies being used in the United States.
- Research and access reference materials to obtain information on diagnostic technology.
Course Activities and Design
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Answer theoretical and application multiple choice questions on information covered in the lecture and reading assignments.
- Complete a variety of work assignments to demonstrate understanding of basic concepts.
- Select the correct diagnosis of a patient given the patients diagnostic test results.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Understanding the functions and organization of the imaging and laboratory department.
- Identify and understand the most current diagnostic tests and studies associated with the following body systems: