Course Content and Outcome Guide for HE 112
- Course Number:
- HE 112
- Course Title:
- Standard First Aid and Emergency Care
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDescribes emergency procedures and techniques of basic life support for adult, child, or infant victims of airway obstruction, respiratory arrest and/or cardiac arrest. Provides education and training in Automated External Defibrillator. Upon successful completion of this course, students may earn an American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR/AED Adult/Child and Infant CPR certificate or American Health Association equivalent. Recommend: RD 115 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
The purpose of this course is to develop knowledge and skills to provide emergency care to persons injured in an accident or stricken by sudden illness. This emergency care is given prior to care by qualified medical personnel. A student who completes the requirements of this course will earn an American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR/AED Adult/Child and Infant CPR certificate or equivalent card from the American Heart Association.
This course will cover major aspects of first aid with regard to emergency care and preventative measures. The student will learn the proper methods and procedures for applying CPR in given emergency situations.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
Apply working knowledge of AED technology.
Evaluate first aid/CPR scenarios and apply appropriate first aid/CPR techniques to those scenarios.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written examination
- Practical skill demonstration
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Recognize and use a three step plan of action in an emergency
- Assess appropriate action in a variety of adult, child and infant emergency situations.
- Demonstrate first aid skills in a variety of adult, child and infant emergency situations.
- Demonstrate appropriate and correct usage of AED technology.
- Communication skills: Oral and written communication.
THEMES, CONCEPTS, IDEAS
- Recognize and provide care for various types of respiratory and cardiac emergencies for adult, child and infant.
- Provide care for shock and heart attack
- Provide general care for wounds
- Recognize burn emergencies and provide care
- Understand and provide care for heat and cold emergencies.
- Recognize and provide care for sudden illness situations.
- Recognize and provide care for bone and joint injuries.
- Understand appropriate use of AED technology.