- Course Number:
- HE 110
- Course Title:
- CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides education and training in infant, child, adult CPR, AED, and Bag-Valve masks for people who are responsible for delivering emergency care and/or ensuring the public safety. Provides training in bloodborne pathogens. Upon successful completion of this course, students may earn an American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and Health Care Provider certificate or equivalent American Health Association. Recommend: RD 115 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
The purpose of this course is to develop the knowledge and skills to provide emergency care to persons injured in an accident or stricken by sudden illness. This emergency care is given prior to care by qualified medical personnel. A student who completes the requirements of this course will earn a CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certificate.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to:
Recognize the need for, prepare for, and administer CPR in emergency situations.
Apply working knowledge of AED and BVM Technology.
Apply Bloodborne Pathogen precautions in emergency Situations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written examination
- Practical skill demonstration
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Recognize and use a three step plan of action in an emergency.
- Assess appropriate action in a variety of adult, child, and infant emergency situations.
- Demonstrate CPR skills in a variety of adult and child situations.
- Demonstrate appropriate and correct use of AED technology.
- Communication skills: Oral and written communication.
- Recognize and provide care for various types of respiratory and cardiac emergencies for adult, child and infant.
- Understand the cause and symptoms of heart attack.
- Recognize the warning signals of a heart attack.
- Understand appropriate use of AED technology.