Course Content and Outcome Guide for GRN 237 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- GRN 237
- Course Title:
- End of Life Therapies
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionFocuses on a specific therapeutic approach appropriate for end of life care and explores a variety of strategies and activities designed to augment end of life and palliative care goals and enhance the quality of life for the dying person and their caregivers. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each course offering will focus on one therapeutic approach, such as art, music, pet, horticulture, and massage therapies. One credit
required for the Gerontology: End of Life Care Certificate.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Coordinate with an end of life team or other practitioners to introduce person-centered and culturally appropriate therapeutic strategies into a comprehensive end of life care plan for the dying person and their caregivers.
- Implement practices and activities based on the particular therapeutic approach to augment end of life care goals and enhance life quality for the dying person and their families.
Course Activities and Design
- Lecture, presentations, discussion, and readings on the particular therapeutic approach and ways it can be adapted to diverse populations and settings
- Case studies and practical techniques on the therapeutic approach and particular strategies and activities based on the therapy
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A variety of assessments, including reflective journals, essays, skilldemonstration, case study analysis, will be used. Students will share
capstone projects demonstrating ways in which the therapeutic approach could be used in a particular end of life care scenario.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Introduction to the particular therapy and overview of professional standards and practice
- Distinction between a therapy and creative means to augment therapeutic goals
- Techniques, strategies, and activities used in a therapeutic manner
- Assessment of the dying persons needs, interests, and culture to develop appropriate and therapeutically effective strategies
- Integration of the therapeutic approach and strategies into a comprehensive end of life care plan.
- Ethical and professional standards