Course Content and Outcome Guide for GRN 175 Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- GRN 175
- Course Title:
- The Aging Mind
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores the convergence of gerontology and recent brain science. Presents novel and combinatorial interventions based on recent research on aging brains for today's older students and tomorrow's gerontologists and care providers, introducing them to the emerging array of sustainable approaches to engage, stimulate, and enhance older minds. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
The course is a Program Elective for the AAS in Gerontology and the Gerontology Certificate. It is required for students earning the Advanced Behavioral & Cognitive Care Certificate.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Successful students will be able to:
- Apply recent research on aging brains to enhance their own learning.
- Translate, combine, and apply recent research on aging brains to engage, stimulate, and enhance older minds in their work in aging services, life enrichment, adult education, and care settings.
- Stay current as new research on aging brains emerges.
Course Activities and Design
Web-based, D2L with six modules plus two live lecture, discussion, and interactive 2.5 hour sessions that will be recorded. Students may elect to attend the live session or to view the recordings of the sessions that will be available to registered students.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A variety of assessments will be used, including
- Personal 7-Day Brain Health Assessment and Reassessment Process
- Brain Health Lexicons
- Discussion-Forum submissions
- Dropbox Assignments
- Accessing Emerging Brain Research Assignment
- Applying Brain Health Knowledge Final Paper Assignment
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Longevity and The New Age of Aging
- Employing General Brain Health Assessments
- The Mature Minds vs. Immature Minds
- The Six Essential CogWheels of Brain Health
- Leveraging the neuroscience of the senses to improve brain health
- Creativity, Creative Arts & the Brain
- Applying brain health knowledge.