- Course Number:
- GEO 280A
- Course Title:
- CE: Geography
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionEnables students to extend their knowledge of Geography through work in settings which provide learning experiences that are not available in the classroom, but which supplement classroom learning. Under the employer's supervision the student learns to apply classroom theory to actual work situations. Department permission required. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of Cooperative Education: Geography Experience students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how Geographic principles are applied in their area of involvement.
- Demonstrate successful completion of the applied assignment.
- Communicate effectively, at their level, about what they learned as a result of their involvement.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge of the concepts described in the required competencies by any combination of the following:
- Regular attendance and participation in the field assignment.
- Portfolio of completed work.
- Field assessment of the student's work.
- Instructor conferences.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues:
- Ethical Conduct, including Work Ethic
- Applying Principles of Geography
- Skills/Abilities (Transferable, Adaptive, Task Specific)
- Effective Written and Oral Communication
Competencies and Skills:
- Communicate effectively about the knowledge and skills attained as a result of the experience.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the purposes of the applied working environment in which they were involved.
- Demonstrate an understanding of what is required to be successful in the applied working environment in which they were involved.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how Geographic knowledge, skills, and abilities are utilized in the applied working environment.