Course Content and Outcome Guide for GEO 265
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- GEO 265
- Course Title:
- Introduction to GIS
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides a conceptual overview and hands-on experience using ArcGIS software. Introduces basic principles of maps and map design and uses ArcGIS to create, edit, display, query and analyze geographic and tabular data and to create maps and charts. Prerequisite: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of Geography 265 the student will be able to:
- Discuss in an informed way the techniques, terms and applications of GIS
- Gather spatial information from various sources to include on a map
- Use GIS to analyze and visualize spatial data to gain new knowledge
- Collect, display, query, and analyze spatial and tabular data
- Produce maps that communicate a purpose and adhere to the principles of good map design
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be expected to demonstrate mastery of themes, concepts, issues, competencies and skills by any combination of the following:
- Written results of class labs and exercises
- Completion of a midterm ArcView GIS mapping project
- Completion of a final mapping project utilizing ArcView GIS
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues:
- Maps and Cartography
- Map Construction with GIS
- ArcView GIS
- ArcView GIS Views and Themes
- ArcView GIS Tables
- Use of ArcView to create and edit themes
- Spatial query and analysis with ArcView
- Use of ArcView to create and edit shapefiles
- Use of ArcView to geocode addresses
- Use of ArcView to create layouts
- ArcView GIS extensions
Competencies and Skills:
- Identify the important elements of map design.
- Identify and define GIS/ArcView terminology.
- Identify the historical events and people that pioneered GIS.
- Use ArcView to display data in a view.
- Use ArcView to create and edit themes.
- Use ArcView to query a database.
- Use ArcView to create and edit shapefiles.
- Use ArcView to create maps for presentation.