Course Content and Outcome Guide for GD 116
- Course Number:
- GD 116
- Course Title:
- Intermediate Typography
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionFocuses on typographic composition, hierarchy of information, font identification and grid structure. Integrates type and image to reflect contemporary layout directions.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Utilize type as the primary graphic design element in creating professional level design solutions.
- Create professional level layouts utilizing grid structure organization.
- Apply industry-expected practices governing typography in communication materials.
- Prepare digital files conforming to industry required production standards.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
• Combine specified typographic elements to stimulate visual interest
• Use type, color, and layout to engage target audiences
• Develop layouts conforming to visual hierarchy
• Combine type and imagery into a well composed layout of organized information
• Build digital documents to required specifications
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
• Problem Solving
• Visual Hierarchy
• Attention to Detail
• Critical Thinking
• Select typefaces appropriate for different project solutions
• Digitally manipulate letterforms for customization
• Apply professional methods of spacing to multiple typographic elements
• Compose layouts for effective communication
• Demonstrate grid principles
• Edit text to demonstrate professional typographic formatting
• Follow all required specifications