Course Content and Outcome Guide for G 161 Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- G 161
- Course Title:
- Geology: Great Basin/Cascades
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the relationships between the biology and geology of the Great Basin and/or Cascades geographical area. Explores the geologic history of the Great Basin and/or Cascades geographical areas and the relationships between geology and the plants and animals of these areas. Includes a four-day field trip to the Great Basin and/or Cascades geographical area for field experience of concepts covered in the lecture portion of the class.
Intended Outcomes for the course
After completion of this course, students will:
A. Understand the basic geological processes that formed this region and the impact this geology has on the biological organisms found here
B. Be able to use select scientific field research equipment
C. Have the ability to communicate scientific concepts effectively through written and oral reports
D. Be prepared for future study in geology or related fields
Course Activities and Design
The material in this course will be presented in a classroom lecture/discussion format with an accompanying field trip. Other educationally sound methods may be employed such as research papers and small group work.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course grade. The methods may include one or more of the following tools: examinations, quizzes, homework assignments, research papers, group projects, oral presentations, or maintenance of a personal field journal.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Collaborate with peers - work effectively in groups.
- Analyze soil or water samples using field laboratory kits
- Describe the geologic history of the Malheur and Great Basin geographical areas
- Describe the volcanic processes that formed Diamond Craters
- Discuss the geologic formations associated with hydrothermal activity
- Describe the relationship between the geology and the biological organisms in desert environments
- Discuss human impact on the Malheur region