Course Content and Outcome Guide for FR 270C
- Course Number:
- FR 270C
- Course Title:
- Readings in French Literature
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionEmphasizes skills for reading in French. Reading and discussion of accessible works of French prose and poetry. Recommended: Completion of second year French at the college level, simultaneous enrollment in FR 203, 251 or 257 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
FR 270C is designed to provide advanced students of French with the opportunity to study French literature and to increase their skills in listening, reading, speaking, and vocabulary usage. The course is offered for one transfer credit hour per term and counts in the distribution requirements for the AA degree and as a general education requirement for other associate degrees.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Improved ability to read, analyze, and discuss French literature
- Improved speaking, reading and writing skills through student practice (A generally sound foundation in grammar and vocabulary is assumed, and grammar will not be the subject of the course. French will be used at all times.)
- Recognizes and approaches cultural differences and different literary interpretations with respect and open-mindedness.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Student attendance and participation will be appraised to determine improvement in student's ability to understand and analyze literary texts
- Contextual written assignments (in or outside of class) to assess reading, writing, cultural and aural competencies
- Individual and/or group presentations which may contain audio or visual components
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
THEMES, CONCEPTS AND ISSUES
A variety of readings will be selected from Explorations, an intermediate-level French literary reader with a strong emphasis on reading skill development. Pre and post-reading activities will be assigned and discussed for each story and author as well as comprehension questions and vocabulary exercises to increase knowledge and confidence in reading and discussing French literature. Readings may include fictional short stories, stories based on African folklore, poetry, theatrical texts, song lyrics, newspaper and/or magazine articles, film scripts, among others.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Improved reading and conversation skills
- Improved critical analysis of literary texts
- Improved knowledge of cultural differences
- Increased critical thinking skills
- Small group collaboration
- Speaking and listening reflectively