Course Content and Outcome Guide for FD 277
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- FD 277
- Course Title:
- Fashion Trend Analysis
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces fashion trend forecasting process within the apparel industry; use of information sources and trend analysis in developing and promoting a fashion product. Introduction to history of and terminology of apparel design. Prerequisite: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Forecast new trends through understanding the consumer’s response and acceptance of current trends.
2. Have insight into the dynamics of a consumer in a specific market.
3. Determine the needs of a specific market through research, analysis and projections.
4. Apply knowledge of the historical, cultural, social and economic impacts on apparel for developing a product line for today’s consumer.
5. Effectively communicate a broad understanding of the approaches to the study of fashion and the process of fashion forecasting.
Outcome Assessment StrategiesStudents will research and present forecasting focused on some aspect of apparel design.
The other forms of assessment will be determined by the individual instructor. Assessment strategies may include:
Qualitative examinations Quantitative examinations
Research papers In-class dialog
Group work Case Studies
Media analysis Service Learning
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)Course Content:
Themes, Concepts, and Issues:
Fashion and forecasting defined
Forecasting of: Directions, Industries, Fashion, Color, Style
Fashion resources & publications
Competencies and Skills:
Define and provide examples of fashion forecasting terminology.
Identify and analyze fashion trends.
Identify factors that contribute to the introduction, adoption, and diffusion of fashion objects.
Profile characteristics of target customers; identify consumer behavior patterns and their effect on fashion demand.
Identify, evaluate, and use sources of fashion information: trade publications, consumer publications, and websites.
Apply APA knowledge of referencing trend publications