Course Content and Outcome Guide for ETC 280A
- Course Number:
- ETC 280A
- Course Title:
- Cooperative Education: Emergency TeleCommunicator
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionStudents earn credit for learning from practical experience at a worksite related to being an Dispatcher/Call Taker. Appropriate work experiences provide opportunities to build and develop skills necessary to be a successful TeleCommunicator/Dispatcher. May be repeated up to 12 credits. Prerequisites: Completion of 8 ETC credit hours and 6 credits of lab hours.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students will apply knowledge and skills learned in their TeleCommunicator program and cooperative work experience to the workplace.
Course Activities and Design
This course is presented in an interactive style. Participants are required to complete forms for insurance and liability purposes and to arrange cooperative education activities. Written documentation of all activities is required. An appropriate trainee position must be obtained by the student and be approved by the instructor and cooperative education specialist.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate learning outcomes by completing these tasks:
• Completing Training Agreement & Learning Objectives prior to registration
• Write learning objectives and identify related activities at the beginning of the work experience with guidance from the work site supervisor and instructor
• Written documentation of all activities will be required in appropriate detail to exhibit a basic understanding of the skills used.
• Consistently work the agreed upon hours and engage in the identified activities
• Participate in and end of term evaluation process. Work site supervisors will compete an evaluation of the students performance and meet with the student and the cooperative education specialist
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The following list indicates the skills students will develop by writing learning objectives and as a result of the work experiences.
Competencies and Skills
• Identify areas for skill development
• Enhance competencies
• Identify areas for improvement of career relevant attitudes and practices
• Make decisions
• Organize information
• Synthesize information
• Analyze self
Concepts, Themes, Issues
• Become aware of the importance of personal traits in performing effectively as a TeleCommunicator
• Set and work toward job-related goals
• Meet Learning Objectives
• Perform self evaluation