Course Content and Outcome Guide for ETC 125 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- ETC 125
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Fire Communications
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces fire call taking and dispatching. Includes the use of emergency communications equipment and the application of policies, procedures and protocols in the handling of fire related situations. Prerequisites: ETC 111.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Accurately receive and prioritize fire related emergency calls and determine appropriate equipment and personnel needed.
- Use federal, state and local policies and procedures to define and process a HAZMAT incident.
- Use the Incident Command System according to nationally accepted FEMA standards.
- Use the CAD system to process fire related calls from call taking through dispatching.
Course Activities and Design
- Role-play using both phone and radio systems. Special emphasis will be placed upon the communication between call taker and customer.
- Discuss and critique specific incidents and situations.
- Locate and apply specific procedures and protocols to incidents in an appropriate manner.
- Complete basic call entry including within 90 seconds
- Navigate the computer aided dispatching system to successfully manipulate the call entry screen, pending call screen and unit screen
- Assign appropriate units to pending calls
- Coordinate simultaneous conversations by both radio and telephone.
- Monitor and direct multiple units by radio and track status on all on duty responders.
- Apply policies and procedures to the handling of calls.
- Prioritize calls and determine response based on available resources
- Apply written policy and procedures to complex situations
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Practical CAD based exercises and exams using Daily Observation Reports (DORs), and Fire, Medical and Law Evaluation Forms.
- Written exams and quizzes
- In class and take-home assignments and exercises
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- CAD Systems
- Radio Procedures
- Responder Safety
- Community Safety
- Prioritizing Incidents
- Response Assignments
- Records Management
- Resource Allocation