Course Content and Outcome Guide for ENGR 280A Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- ENGR 280A
- Course Title:
- Cooperative Education: Engineering
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionFor students employed in an approved co-op education position with a local company. Credits do not ordinarily transfer for an engineering degree. Department permission required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
A Cooperative Education Training Agreement will be executed between the student, employer, instructor, and cooperative education specialist. This Agreement will include student and employer/supervisor information, and indicate job status (paid or not paid), beginning and end dates of employment, and workers compensation insurance information.
Intended Outcomes for the course
The student will be able to:
1. develop a portfolio of material produced, as permitted by the employer
2. compare her/his strengths to the employer's needs
3. create a professional development plan for a career in a field of interest
4. produce a written summary of work experience that may be shared with other students and/or instructors
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. A Cooperative Education Learning Outcomes form will be executed between the student, employer, instructor, and cooperative education specialist. This form will list Objectives, regarding what is to be learned, and Duties, indicating what will be done to learn the Objectives. Attainment of the Objectives and the effectiveness of the Duties in learning the Objectives will be evaluated.
2. A Cooperative Education Employer Evaluation will be completed for the student by the supervisor at the end of the work placement. This Evaluation will address:
- Attitudes toward work
- Relations with others
- Job learning/skill improvement
- Quality of work
3. The instructor, or an appointee, will make at least one site visit to meet with the student's supervisor during the work placement. The student may or may not be present.
4. Successful completion of the Cooperative Education Work Placement will earn the student a P (Pass) grade. The course is available for P/NP (Pass/No Pass) grading only.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Attitudes toward work
2. Relations with others
4. Job learning/skill improvement
5. Quality of work
7. Professionalism, including ethical conduct