- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- EM 204
- Course Title:
- P & P Disaster Response II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Continues the investigation of response operations and management by focusing on various management systems. The Incident Command System, are command, multi-agency coordination systems, joint information system and other systems will all be examined. Prerequisite: EM 203.
Addendum to Course Description
The role of technology, mutual aid agreements and the Federal Response Plan will also be discussed. Common post-disaster problems and how first responders and emergency managers overcome these challenges is emphasized.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students will be able to:
- Discuss the theory of various management systems.
- Describe the structure of a management system.
- Design a response organization.
- Identify the various response organization units.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and decision making in managing a response.
Course Activities and Design
- Work within a disaster scenario to design a response organization
- Explore through reading, lecture and group activities the functions of various response organization units.
- Define the roles and responsibilities of individuals within response organization units.
- Function in several different response organization roles in classroom activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Case study analysis
- Written assignments
- Oral presentations
- Written exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Incident Command System
- Area Commands
- Multi-Agency Coordination Systems
- Joint Information System
- Technology in response operations
- System Theories vs. Facilities