Course Content and Outcome Guide for EET 260 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- EET 260
- Course Title:
- Biomedical Equipment I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the fundamentals of medical instrumentation, bioelectric signals and electrodes, recording systems, biomedical recorders, patient monitoring systems, arrhythmia and ambulatory monitoring instruments, fetal monitoring instruments, biomedical telemetry and telemedicine, oximeters, blood flowmeter, cardiac output measurement, pulmonary function analyzers, laboratory equipment, audiometers, and patient safety. Prerequisites: EET 123, MP 111 and (BI 122 or BI 233). Prerequisites/concurrent: EET 221. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this Biomedical Engineering Technology option, students should be able to:
- safely evaluate, calibrate, operate and maintain the biomedical equipment included in this course.
- perform safety inspections
- make repairs when necessary.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Students will have hands-on projects to study and troubleshoot medical equipment.
- Students will take quizzes over the lectured material
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- The Human Body: Overview
- Introduction to Biomedical Instrumentation and Measurement
- Operating and Service Literature from biomedical equipment manufacturers
- MS Powerpoint© presentation handouts
- Regulatory and compliance texts