Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 265
- Course Number:
- ED 265
- Course Title:
- Library Capstone Portfolio
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an opportunity for reflection on program outcomes and preparation of a professional portfolio that demonstrate the competencies developed during the program. Capstone course for the Library Assistant Certificate program.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Explain and promote the purpose and role of different library organizations, based on historical and philosophical foundations of library and information services.
- Analyze and articulate the ethical, social, and legal issues (including intellectual freedom, copyright, open access, diversity, and patron privacy) surrounding access to, creation, retrieval, and use of materials and technology.
- Evaluate sources of information, develop and implement effective search strategies, and select and use appropriate information resources to meet user needs.
- Apply standard methods and principles for selecting, acquiring, processing, organizing, maintaining, circulating, preserving, and deselecting library materials.
- Adapt and adopt current and emerging technologies and solve technological problems when appropriate.
- Apply collaborative behaviors, effective communication skills, and the appropriate use of customer service and decision making models, as guided by the ethical principles and core values of the library and information services profession, when working with diverse library groups, including users, colleagues, and other stakeholders.
Course Activities and Design
- Reflect on library assistant program outcomes (as listed for the CCOGs for this course) along with the America Library Association's Library Support Staff Certification competencies.
- Interactive class discussions.
- Individual and group activities, projects, and presentations.
- Create a professional online portfolio to provide evidence of library-related competencies.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Actively participate in class discussions.
- Actively collaborate with others to complete group activities, projects, and presentations.
- Complete class activities, projects, and presentations on time.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Demonstration of library assistant program outcomes
- ALA LSSC competencies
- Development of Professional Portfolio