Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 260
- Course Number:
- ED 260
- Course Title:
- Multicult Lit:Child/Yng Adult
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces multicultural literature for early childhood through young adult. Emphasizes contemporary literature representing a range of cultures in the U.S. as well as world-wide. Covers selection and evaluation, cultural considerations, and book awards. Prerequisites: Placement test scores qualifying student to enroll into WR 121. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the courseREQUIRED STUDENT COMPETENCIES:
- List the major awards for children's literature of various cultures within the United States.
- List the characteristics of culture.
- Read and report on assigned reading of multicultural literature.
- Identify and discuss major works and authors in the following traditions:
- Write an annotated bibliography.
- List cultural considerations for selection of multicultural materials.
- Use the Internet and bibliographic resources to identify and evaluate multicultural materials
Course Activities and DesignThe content of this course will be delivered through lecture, video, and class discussion/sharing. Other techniques will be used depending upon the size of the class, student background and instructional materials available.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and criteria for assigning a course grade. Methods may include one or more of the following: attendance, class participation, examinations, book reviews, reading lists, written or oral presentations.