Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 238
- Course Number:
- ED 238
- Course Title:
- Library Supervision and Managment
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores library supervision and management. Focuses on supervision and training of library staff, facilities, marketing, community outreach, budgeting, fundraising and grant writing.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Assist in the planning, development, advocacy, and promotion of library services and programs within a local community.
- Analyze how different libraries are funded through the review of library budgets and justify library expenditures to various stakeholder groups.
- Identify funding sources, create documentation to apply for funding, and participate in fundraising opportunities.
- Participate in the recruitment, hiring, training, and evaluation of library staff.
- Revise (as needed) library policies and procedures, based on user needs.
Course Activities and Design
- Analyze library budgets and explain expenditures.
- Develop a library program or service.
- Identify grant and other funding sources and fundraising opportunities.
- Interactive class discussions.
- Individual and group activities, projects, and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge of library supervision and management strategies through class discussions, activities, projects, and presentations.
- Actively participate in class discussions.
- Actively collaborate with others to complete group activities, projects, and presentations.
- Complete class activities, projects, and presentations on time.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Advocacy for library programs, services, budgets, funding, and staff.
- Funding sources and fundraising opportunities
- Recruitment, hiring, training, and evaluation of library staff.