Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 230
- Course Number:
- ED 230
- Course Title:
- Preservation of Library Materials
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces basic book repair, media storage and preservation, and digitization of materials. Prerequisites: ED 111.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
1. Perform basic book repair techniques, including tipping in pages, repairing hinges and corners, replacing covers, and reinforcing spines.
2. Identify, convert, and use different types of media storage, formats, and equipment for preservation and storage of library materials.
3. Preserve and store different media formats in different library settings.
Course Activities and Design
1. Practice basic book repair techniques.
2. Practice preserving data in different media formats.
3. Interactive class discussions.
4. Individual and group activities, projects, and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Demonstrate knowledge of preservation strategies and techniques for library
materials and data storage used in a library setting through class discussions,
activities, projects, and presentations.
2. Actively participate in class discussions.
3. Actively collaborate with others to complete group activities, projects, and
4. Complete class activities, projects, and presentations on time.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Book repair
2. Materials preservation and storage.
3. Digitization of materials.