Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 134
- Course Number:
- ED 134
- Course Title:
- Library Technology I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces existing technologies used within a library, including library catalogs and integrated library systems. Explores computer hardware, software, applications, and other library equipment. Develops basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills. Examines assistive technologies. Prerequisites: CAS 133 and ED 113.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Explain the role of technology within libraries.
- Use library equipment and computer applications, software, and hardware in order to troubleshoot basic technical problems.
- Analyze different vendors for library catalogs and integrated library systems.
- Promote and use assistive technologies in libraries.
- Describe how different social media tools may be used to collaborate on, promote, and provide library services.
- Create a basic website that includes images and video.
Course Activities and Design
- Compare and contrast different vendors for library catalogs and integrated library systems.
- Articulate the different components of integrated library systems.
- Design and develop a basic library website that includes images and video.
- Interactive class discussions.
- Individual and group activities, projects, and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge of various aspects of library technologies, such as library catalogs, integrated library systems, computer hardware and software through class discussions, activities, projects, and presentations.
- Actively participate in class discussions.
- Actively collaborate with others to complete group activities, projects, and presentations.
- Complete class activities, projects, and presentations on time.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Role of technology in libraries.
- Types of technologies used within a library.
- Evaluation, use, and implementation of library technologies.
- Ability to troubleshoot basic library technology issues.