Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 119
- Course Number:
- ED 119
- Course Title:
- Library Access Services
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces access services within a library, including circulation processes and procedures, interlibrary loan, document delivery, reserves, and copyright. Explores providing quality customer service, maintaining patron confidentiality, and working with diverse individuals. Prerequisites: ED 113 and ED 118.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Explain library policies and procedures related to access services to library patrons and staff.
- Articulate circulation processes, including check-in and check-out of materials, collecting fees, and processing library cards.
- Apply access services models that support quality customer service in a library setting.
- Maintain and use library records based on patron confidentiality and privacy policies.
- Identify and explain copyright issues related to reserves, document delivery, and interlibrary loan to patrons.
- Organize and maintain collections through shelving, shifting, and shelf-reading.
Course Activities and Design
- Articulate different types of access service models in libraries.
- Explore issues of patron record confidentiality and privacy.
- Discuss copyright issues related to reserves, document delivery, and interlibrary loan to patrons.
- Review shelving techniques and processes.
- Interactive class discussions.
- Individual and group activities, projects, and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge of access services, such as circulation processes and procedures, interlibrary loan, document delivery, reserves, and copyright through class discussions, activities, projects, and presentations.
- Actively participate in class discussions.
- Actively collaborate with others to complete group activities, projects, and presentations.
- Complete class activities, projects, and presentations on time.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Introduction to access services.
- Circulation policies and procedures.
- Interlibrary Loan, Reserves, and Document Delivery.
- Copyright as it relates to access services.