- Course Number:
- ED 118
- Course Title:
- Customer Service & Communication in Libraries
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExamines communication, customer service and teamwork models within libraries. Focuses on developing practical skills for working in libraries, such as conflict resolution and interpersonal skills. Prerequisites/Concurrent: LIB 101. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 121.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Actively encourage and participate in teamwork with library colleagues.
- Seek, offer, receive, and apply constructive feedback from library colleagues and users.
- Use appropriate communication styles with others in the library when listening, communicating (verbally and nonverbally) and writing.
- Apply conflict resolution methods in a positive and productive manner and recognize when a situation should be referred to a library supervisor.
- Model and promote approachable, respectful, and equitable behaviors and attitudes with library colleagues and users.
- Support and participate in decision-making processes, including providing timely, accurate, and critical information to library colleagues, as needed.
Course Activities and Design
- Active exploration of library service policies and patron interactions through observation, reflection, analysis, and research.
- Practice communication styles, conflict resolution, and collaborative behaviors.
- Interactive class discussions.
- Individual and collaborative group activities, projects, and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge of communication, teamwork, and customer service models used in a library setting through class discussions, activities, projects, and presentations.
- Actively participate in class discussions.
- Actively collaborate with others to complete group activities, projects, and presentations.
- Complete class activities, projects, and presentations on time
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Communication, including verbal, nonverbal, listening, and writing skills.
- Teamwork, including collaborating with others on projects and tasks, as well as seeking, receiving and providing feedback.
- Customer service, including conflict resolution and treating other respectfully and equitably.